Over the weekend, a teenager was hospitalized after an All-Terrain-Vehicle (ATV) crash near Maggie Valley. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Sunday along Irene Lane. The 14-year-old passenger was riding with another teen at the time of the wreck. Apparently, the 4-wheeler had some type of mechanical trouble as the two teens were heading down a hill. They crashed into the woods beside the road, and a witness nearby heard the brakes screeching.
Teen Suffers Head Injury in 4-Wheeler Crash
Thankfully, the witness on the scene was a trained medical first responder and tended to the injured teen until help arrived. He was airlifted to Mission Hospital in Asheville for treatment of a concussion and a broken orbital bone. Initial reports indicate that neither teen was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. As of Tuesday, the teen had been released from the hospital. The other teen involved was reportedly not injured in the ATV crash.
ATV Crash Statistics
- There were an estimated 99,600 ATV-related, emergency room visits across the U.S. in 2013.
- Children under the age of 16 made up approximately 25 percent of those people injured.
- In 2013, there were 426 reported ATV-related fatalities.
- Between 1982 and 2013, there were 13,043 ATV-related fatalities reported.
- Between 1982 and 2013, 3,023 of those ATV-related fatalities were among children under the age of 16.
- 43 percent of those children were younger than 12 years of age.
4-Wheeler Accidents in Asheville
In many cases, and especially when children are involved, those injured in 4-wheeler accidents aren’t the owners of the vehicle. Furthermore, they haven’t been properly trained in safe riding techniques or given access or information about safety gear like helmets, gloves, jackets and boots. The likelihood for accidents also increases with the addition of passengers. When there are two or more people on a 4-wheeler, there is a greater risk for rollover accidents.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in an accident involving a 4-wheeler or any other type of ATV in Asheville or the surrounding communities, contact the skilled legal team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 888-773-8388 for a free case consultation.