Last week, a semi-truck hauling a NASCAR racecar crashed in McDowell County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on I-40, near Mile Marker 93, in the Marion area. Very few details about this truck crash have been released, but we do know that the truck was carrying a NASCAR Xfinity Series racecar for team #10 of Kaulig Racing. Initial reports indicate that the semi-truck was headed westbound when it left the roadway and went through a guardrail on the shoulder. It then went down an embankment and rolled over before coming to a stop in an area full of trees.
Truck Driver and Passenger Injured
First responders rushed to the scene, where they found the driver and a passenger injured. Both of those people were transported to Mission Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. No information has been released on their current conditions or on the full extent of their injuries though. Additionally, there has been no word on what caused the semi-truck to leave the roadway. This truck crash is likely still under investigation with local law enforcement officials.
U.S. Truck Crashes by The Numbers
- There were 4,761 people killed in large truck crashes in 2017.
- Between 2016 and 2017, there was a nine-percent increase in truck crash fatalities.
- In 2017, 72 percent of people killed in large-truck crashes were occupants in other vehicles.
- 78 percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks in 2017 happened on weekdays in 2017.
- Three percent of the large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2017 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .08 g/dL or higher.
Asheville Truck Accident Lawyer
After any kind of accident involving a semi-truck, tractor-trailer or other type of commercial trucking vehicle, it’s important to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer about your case. These cases often require additional investigative efforts due to the extensive federal safety regulations associated with the commercial trucking industry.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in Asheville or in any of the surrounding Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation today.