Last week, a semi truck crashed on Interstate 85 in Greenville County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened near the ramp to Woodruff Road and I-385. Very few details of the truck crash have been released, but we do know that a portion of I-385 North and I-85 South had to be closed as crews and first responders worked the scene. At this time, there has been no word on how the large tractor-trailer overturned in the roadway. Injuries were reported in the crash, but no information has been released on the extent of injuries involved or on anybody’s current condition.
Truck Crashes by The Numbers
- In 2014, here were 3,903 people killed in crashes involving large trucks on U.S. roadways.
- In 2014, an estimated 438,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported crashes.
- An estimated 111,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- In 2014, 73 percent of people killed in crashes involving large trucks were occupants in other vehicles.
- From 2013 to 2014, there was a 19-percent increase in the number of injured occupants of other vehicles from crashes involving large trucks.
Commercial Truck Safety Regulations
Since tractor-trailers, semi trucks and other large commercial vehicles are so much bigger and heavier than other traditional passenger occupant vehicles, truck drivers and trucking companies have additional rules and regulations to follow. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is the agency tasked with regulating the commercial trucking industry. With the additional safety regulations, cases involving tractor-trailer crashes can be complex and lengthy. There might be multiple investigative agencies involved, and the time it takes to fully complete an investigation is typically much longer than for crashes involving only passenger occupant vehicles.
Asheville Truck Accident Lawyer
After any type of accident involving a commercial trucking vehicle, it’s essential to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer who has proven truck accident case experience as soon as possible. Your lawyer can stay on top of any investigative developments. It’s absolutely critical to determine if truck drivers or trucking companies were violating any federal safety regulations or other traffic laws at the time of the crash. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in or around the Asheville area, contact the skilled team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 888-773-8388 for a free case consultation today.