On Tuesday morning, portions of I-40 had to be closed following a semi-truck crash in McDowell County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened sometime around 9:00 a.m. between the 77-mile maker and Exit 81 (Sugar Hill Road). Very few details about this crash have been released, but we do know that the tractor-trailer overturned and caught fire. Initial reports indicate that the truck driver was injured in the crash.
18-Wheeler Overturned in McDowell County
First responders and crews rushed to the scene, where both eastbound lanes and one westbound lane of the roadway had to be closed. Motorists nearby were asked to avoid the area. It wasn’t until about 11:00 a.m. that lanes were reopened for traffic. No information has been released about the cause of the crash, which could still be under investigation with local law enforcement officials. Additionally, there has been no word on the injured truck driver’s current condition or on the full extent of injuries involved.
Tractor-Trailer Crashes by The Numbers
- In 2017, there were 4,761 people killed in crashes involving large trucks in the U.S.
- Between 2016 and 2017, there was a nine-percent increase in fatalities involving large trucks.
- In 2017, 72 percent of people killed in large truck crashes were occupants in other vehicles.
- Three percent of the large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2017 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .08 g/dL or higher.
- 78 percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks in 2017 happened on weekdays.
Truck Accidents in Asheville
After any type of injury accident involving a semi-truck, tractor-trailer or other types of large commercial trucking vehicle, it’s important to speak with a lawyer about your case. You may be entitled to compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages and other expenses associated with your injuries. A lawyer can stay abreast of any investigative details that arise during lengthy truck accident investigations.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in Asheville or in any of the nearby Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation today.