On Tuesday, there was a semi-truck crash in West Asheville. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Interstate 40, near exit 44. Very few details about this crash have been released, but we do know that at least three vehicles were involved. Initial reports indicate that a fuel tank on the semi-truck ruptured during the crash, and fuel spilled onto the roadway. A Hazmat unit was called to the scene to clean the spill.
Three Injured in Asheville Tractor-Trailer Crash
A portion of the roadway had to be closed as first responders and crews worked the scene, and three people were transported to the hospital for treatment of injuries. At this time, there has been no word on anybody’s current condition or on the full extent of injuries involved. Additionally, no information has been released on the cause of the crash, which could still be under investigation with local law enforcement officials.
National Data on Large Trucks
- In 2015, there were nearly 12.5 million commercial large trucks and buses registered in the U.S.
- Large trucks and buses logged about 296 billion vehicle miles in 2015.
- Of the 34,439 fatal crashes on U.S. roadways, 4,079 (11.8 percent) involved at least one large truck or bus.
- 8 out of 10 people killed in crashes involving large trucks are occupants of other vehicles.
- 27 percent of fatal work zone crashes involved at least one large truck.
Truck Accidents in Asheville
Crashes involving semi-trucks and tractor-trailers can be catastrophic or fatal for occupants in other smaller vehicles. Since commercial trucking vehicles are so much larger and heavier than other vehicles on the road, truck drivers and trucking companies have additional regulations and rules to follow. Crash investigations involving commercial trucking vehicles can often take more time than investigations involving only cars, SUVs and light trucks.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a semi-truck accident in Asheville or in any of the nearby Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation.