Last week, there was a crash involving a semi-truck in Polk County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Interstate 26 near U.S. 74. Very few details about this truck crash have been released, but initial reports indicate that all eastbound lanes near Exit 59 had to be closed as crews and first responders worked the scene. No information has been released on whether or not anybody was injured in this crash. Additionally, there has been no word on the cause of the crash, which could still be under investigation with law enforcement officials.
Semi Truck Crashes by The Numbers
- 4,761 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2017.
- There was a nine-percent increase in large-truck crash fatalities between 2016 and 2017.
- Three percent of the large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2017 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .08 g/dL or higher.
- Large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2017 had a higher percentage of previously recorded crashes compared to drivers of other types of vehicles.
- 72 percent of people killed in large-truck crashes in 2017 were occupants in other vehicles.
Truck Accident Investigations
In addition to all the regular traffic safety laws, commercial truck drivers and trucking companies have additional rules and regulations to follow. These regulations have to do with how long drivers are able to be on the road, how cargo is loaded and how often and what type of maintenance is done on vehicles. Due to these important safety regulations, accident investigations involving semi-trucks can take more time than accident investigations involving cars and light trucks.
After a Truck Accident in Asheville
After any kind of accident involving a commercial trucking vehicle, it’s critically important to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer about your case. You may be entitled to compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages and other costs associated with your injuries. Truck accidents can take a long time, and your lawyer can keep you abreast of any investigative developments.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in Asheville or in any of the surrounding Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation today.