Over the weekend, a pedestrian was found dead on Tunnel Road, under the I-240 overpass. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened between South Tunnel Road and Crocket Avenue, sometime around 2:00 a.m. on Saturday. Very few details about this fatal pedestrian collision have been released, but we do know that Ryan Michael Rast died of injuries consistent with being hit by a vehicle. Law enforcement officials are asking anybody with information about the crash, or anybody who was travelling through the area at about 2:00 a.m. on Saturday to contact the Asheville Police Department. The cause of this apparent hit-and-run crash remains under investigation.
Pedestrian Crashes by The Numbers
- In 2015, an estimated 70,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic crashes in the U.S.
- There were 5,376 pedestrians killed in U.S. crashes in 2015.
- On average in 2015, a pedestrian was injured every 7.5 minutes and killed every 1.6 hours.
- In 2015, pedestrian deaths accounted for 15 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- More than one-fifth of the children (14 years old and younger) killed in crashes were pedestrians in 2015.
- In 2015, more than two-thirds of pedestrians killed in traffic crashes were males.
NHTSA on Pedestrian Safety
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has plenty of tips to improve pedestrian safety. The “Everyone is a Pedestrian” campaign is aimed at raising awareness about the importance of safely sharing the road with pedestrians and other vulnerable roadway users. Pedestrians can improve their personal safety by using crosswalks, when available, making eye contact with drivers prior to crossing any streets and remaining vigilant. Unfortunately, even the safest and most conscientious pedestrians can become injured or killed when motorists aren’t paying attention to their surroundings.
Pedestrian Safety in Asheville
Ultimately, pedestrians and other vulnerable roadway users are truly at the mercy of automobile drivers. If drivers are texting, they’re not looking out for pedestrians and other roadway users. The only way to truly share the road safely is to make a commitment to distraction free driving. The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to Rast’s family members, friends and loved ones.