On Monday evening, a pedestrian was struck and killed in Woodfin, North Carolina. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Riverside Drive near Walnut Lane, sometime before 6:00 p.m. At this time, very few details have been released about the collision. We do know that the female pedestrian was transported to Mission Hospital, but she did not survive her injuries. Local law enforcement authorities are currently conducting an investigation including crash scene reconstruction, and at this time, they do not suspect driver impairment. No charges have been filed, and the authorities have not released the identity of the victim.
U.S. Pedestrian Injury Facts
- An estimated 66,000 pedestrians were injured in crashes in 2013.
- In 2013, 4,735 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes.
- On average in 2013, a pedestrian was killed every two hours and injured every eight minutes in traffic crashes.
- In 2013, 26-percent of pedestrian fatalities occurred between 6:00 and 8:59 p.m.
- 92 percent of the pedestrian deaths in 2013 involved a single vehicle.
- In 2013, more than two-thirds of pedestrians killed in traffic crashes were males.
Pedestrian Safety in Asheville
We recently reported on pedestrian safety measures taking place around Asheville. Bright yellow safety flags have been placed at the intersection of Edwin and Katherine Places in efforts to improve pedestrian visibility and safety. Pedestrians can utilize the bright reflective flags by taking one from either side of the street to cross the roadway with. The flag can then be deposited on the other side of the street.
Pedestrians are one of the most vulnerable roadway user groups. Unlike many cyclists and motorcycle riders, they don’t even have the protection of helmets or other types of protective gear. Even at relatively low speeds, accidents involving pedestrians can be devastating, catastrophic or fatal. If you or somebody you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident, it’s important to speak with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to the pedestrian’s family members, friends and loved ones.