On Tuesday afternoon, there was a tractor-trailer crash on I-240 in Asheville. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened in the westbound lanes of the interstate near the Patton Avenue Exit (Exit 3). Very little information has been released about this truck crash, but initial reports indicate that the semi-truck overturned beside the roadway. At least one person was trapped and had to be extricated from the wreckage. They were transported to Mission Hospital for treatment of injuries.
Tractor-Trailer Crash in Asheville
A portion of the roadway had to be closed as crews and first responders worked the scene. Traffic was backed up near Jackson’s Western Store on Patton Avenue. There has been no word on the injured person’s current condition or on the full extent of injuries involved. Additionally, no there has been no information on the cause of this semi-truck crash, which is likely still under investigation with local law enforcement officials.
Truck Crashes by The Numbers
- In 2017, there were 4,761 people killed in crashes involving large trucks on U.S. roadways.
- Between 2016 and 2017, there was a nine-percent increase in fatalities involving large truck crashes.
- In 2017, 72 percent of people killed in large truck crashes were occupants in other vehicles.
- In 2017, 78 percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks happened on weekdays.
- Three percent of the large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2017 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .08 g/dL or higher.
Semi Truck Accidents in Asheville
Crashes involving commercial trucking vehicles can be devastating, catastrophic and even fatal for occupants in smaller passenger vehicles. Semi-trucks and tractor-trailers can weigh in excess of 26,000 lbs. Trucking companies and truck drivers have additional rules and regulations to follow to ensure safe roadways. After any kind of truck accident, it’s a good idea to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer who has proven truck accident case experience.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in Asheville or in any of the surrounding Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828.303.2842 for a free case consultation today.