Over the weekend, a one-vehicle crash on Charlotte Highway sent an Asheville man to the hospital. According to WLOS ABC NEWS Channel 13, the incident happened on Saturday afternoon. The driver, Christopher Love, was reportedly driving more than 100 miles per hour at the time of the wreck. He lost control of his vehicle and struck a concrete wall. Love was ejected from the vehicle, and the most recent report has him listed in critical condition. Law enforcement officers have since charged him with DWI and other traffic violations.
Drunk Driving by The Numbers
- In 2013, there were 10,076 fatalities involving drunk drivers across the U.S.
- An average of one alcohol-impaired driving fatality occurred every 52 minutes in 2013.
- The estimated economic cost of alcohol-impaired-driving crashes in the U.S. in 2010 was $49.8 billion.
- In 2013, the 21 to 24-year-old age group had the highest percentage of drivers in fatal alcohol-impaired driving crashes (33 percent).
- Of the traffic fatalities among children ages 14 years old and under in 2013, about 17 percent happened in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes.
Preventable Car Accidents
Drunk driving accidents are 100-percent preventable. Not only are drunk drivers putting their own lives and freedom at risk, they’re also endangering everybody on the roads. The needless loss of more than 10,000 lives a year due to something that is completely preventable is absolutely heartbreaking. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and other organizations are working to reduce the number of drunk driving crashes that occur in the U.S. Throughout the year, law enforcement agencies in North Carolina and all around the nation step up their efforts to prevent and catch drunk drivers.
Drunk Driving Accidents in Asheville
Crashes involving drunk drivers can be devastating for other passenger occupants. Whether you were in the car with a drunk driver or a drunk driver struck you, it’s essential to get in touch with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. In cases involving drunk driving, there will be criminal charges involved, and your lawyer can stay on top of any official investigative developments.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in an accident involving a drunk driver in Asheville or any of the surrounding communities, contact the experienced team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 888-773-8388 for a free case consultation.