Earlier this week, two people were injured when a hit-and-run driver struck the moped they were on. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened near the Blue Ridge Parkway on Monday night. For currently unknown reasons, a vehicle struck the moped and then fled the scene. Very little information has been released about this collision, but we do know that the two people who were on the moped were rushed to Mission Hospital for treatment of injuries.
Hit-and-Run Vehicle Located
Law enforcement officers have been able to track down the suspect vehicle and identify the driver. At this time, no information on that person’s identity has been released. Additionally, there has been no word on whether or not that person has been arrested and charged. As of Tuesday, one of the moped riders was still in critical condition. There haven’t been any updates on that person’s current condition.
U.S. Car Crash Statistics
- In 2016, there were an estimated 7,277,000 police-reported crashes in the U.S.
- An estimated 3,144,000 people were injured in crashes in 2016.
- In 2016, there were 37,461 car crash fatalities.
- On average in 2016, 102 people died each day in motor vehicle crashes.
- That’s one car-crash fatality every 14 minutes in the U.S.
- In 2017, there were 37,133 people were killed in crashes in the U.S.
- Between 2016 and 2017, fatalities in crashes involving large trucks increased by nine percent.
Car Accident Lawyer in Asheville
After any kind of car accident involving a dangerous driver, it’s important to speak with a lawyer about your case. You may be entitled to compensation to pay for medical bills, lost wages and other costs associated with your injuries. Cases involving hit-and-run drivers can be complicated. Sometimes, it can be difficult for law enforcement officers to locate hit-and-run drivers, but a lawyer can stay abreast of any investigative developments.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident in Asheville or in any of the nearby Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation today.