Early Tuesday morning, there was a fatal pedestrian crash in Macon County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Highlands Road (US-64). Very little information has been released about this crash, but we do know that a portion of Highlands Road, near Saunders Road, had to be closed for a period of time. Initial reports indicate that the incident happened sometime after 2:00 a.m. The pedestrian was reportedly walking with traffic on the eastbound side of the roadway. No additional information has been released about this crash, which is likely still under investigation with local law enforcement officials.
Pedestrian Crashes by The Numbers
- In 2017, there were 5,977 pedestrians killed in traffic crashes across the U.S.
- On average, one pedestrian was killed every 88 minutes in a crash in 2017.
- Pedestrian deaths accounted for 16 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2017.
- In 2017, 26 percent of all pedestrian fatalities happened between 6:00 to 8:59 p.m.
- More than two-thirds (70 percent) of pedestrians killed in 2017 were males.
- In 2017, 91 percent of the pedestrians killed in traffic crashes involved single vehicles.
Everyone is a Pedestrian
Since pedestrians are still one of the most vulnerable roadway user groups, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) “Everyone is a Pedestrian” campaign is aimed at raising awareness about the dangers facing pedestrians on U.S. roadways. Unfortunately, one of the biggest threats to pedestrian safety is distracted driving. Drivers are urged to put their phones down and be on the lookout for other motorists and vulnerable roadway users like pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcycle riders.
Pedestrian Accidents in Asheville
Crashes involving pedestrians can be catastrophic or worse. After any kind of accident involving a vehicle and a pedestrian, it’s a good idea to speak with a lawyer about your case. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills or other costs associated with your injuries.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Asheville or in any of the surrounding Western North Carolina communities, contact the skilled and proven Personal Injury team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation today.