On Monday afternoon, there was a fatal crash involving a semi truck in Madison County. According to WLOS ABC News channel 13, the wreck happened at about 4:30 p.m. on Highway 213, between Marshall and Mars Hill. Very few details about this fatal truck crash have been released, but we do know that a car was travelling east on N.C. 213, when it collided with a semi truck that was reportedly slowing down to merge into a turn lane. The car struck the big rig from behind and rolled over several times. The vehicle came to rest about 400 feet down a hill from the roadway. The victim was reportedly ejected from her vehicle. There has been no word on whether or not she was buckled up at the time of the wreck.
Large Truck Crash Facts
- An estimated 116,000 people were injured in large truck crashes in 2015.
- 4,067 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2015.
- In 2014, there were 3,904 deaths in crashes involving large trucks.
- There was a four percent increase in large truck crash fatalities from 2014 to 2015.
- In 2015, 74 percent of people killed in large truck crashes were occupants in other vehicles.
- 10 percent of people killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2015 were non-occupants (pedestrians, cyclists, etc.).
- 16 percent of people killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2015 were occupants of large trucks.
Truck Crash Investigations
Since commercial trucking vehicles are so much larger and heavier than traditional passenger occupant vehicles, they have additional rules and regulations to follow. Accidents involving commercial trucking vehicles often take much more time to investigate than crashes involving only smaller passenger occupant vehicles. In addition to looking at all of the standard traffic safety laws, investigators have to determine whether or not any federal safety regulations were being violated at the time of the crash.
Truck Accidents in Asheville
Accidents involving semi trucks can be devastating, catastrophic and even fatal for people in smaller passenger occupant vehicles. The crash involving a tractor-trailer in Madison County is likely still under investigation with law enforcement officials. If you have been injured in a crash involving a semi truck, tractor-trailer, big rig or any type of commercial trucking vehicle in or around the Asheville area, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 828-303-2842 for a free case consultation today.