Police officers in Ashville and Buncombe County deputies are working together on a joint task force in efforts to reduce alcohol-impaired accidents in the area. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, Buncombe County has received a $700,000 grant to help stop drunk driving. Some of that money will fund a mobile breath alcohol testing unit to various checkpoints around the county.
Cracking Down on DWI’s in Asheville
Cracking down on impaired drivers is an important part of keeping the community safe. When drivers get behind the wheel impaired, they’re putting everybody on the road at great risk. WLOS ABC News reports that the DWI task force plans to use the grant money to set up checkpoints at least once a month in Buncombe County.
Drunk Driving: Just the Facts
- On average in 2012, one person was killed every 51 minutes in a drunk-driving crash in the U.S.
- More than 10,000 people are killed each year in crashes involving impaired drivers.
- One in three traffic fatalities happens in an alcohol-impaired crash.
- Holiday weekends often bring a surge of impaired-driving crashes.
- Alcohol-impaired driving crashes cost an estimated $37 billion each year.
- Alcohol impairment among drivers is about four times higher during night time hours than daytime hours.
In the Hospital and Out of Work
Victims of any type of car accident are often in the hospital and out of work. Whether an impaired driver was at fault or a distracted driver, you’re left in pain, out of work and with medical bills piling up. Car accident victims are often facing hospital bills, rehabilitation costs, property damage, lost wages and other out-of-pocket expenses, and insurance companies are notoriously slow at processing claims.
After an Accident Involving an Impaired Driver
After an accident involving a drunk driver, it’s important to get into contact with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You might be in the hospital and out of work, but it will be necessary to stay abreast of official law enforcement investigations. On top of everything, you could be dealing with multiple pushy insurance companies. If you or a loved one has been injured in a wreck involving a drunk driver in Asheville or Buncombe County, contact the skilled team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 866-397-2897 today for a free consultation.