On Tuesday morning, a woman from Asheville was struck and killed while riding her bicycle in Henderson County. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Chimney Rock Road, near Saint Mary’s Drive at about 6:30 a.m. Carrie Byrnside, 25-years-old, was killed after being struck by two vehicles on the roadway. Initial reports indicate that one of the drivers didn’t even see her prior to striking her. Although very few details have been released, we do know that the crash shut down a portion of the roadway for about an hour and a half as first responders and crews worked the scene.
Bicycle Crash Statistics
- An estimated 48,000 cyclists were injured in crashes involving motor vehicles in 2013.
- In 2013, 743 cyclists were killed on U.S. roadways.
- The number of cyclists killed in 2013 is one percent higher than the number of cyclists killed in 2012.
- This has been the third straight increase in cyclist fatalities, representing a 19-percent increase since 2010.
- 68 percent of cyclist fatalities occurred in urban areas.
- Over half of cyclist fatalities happened between 3:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.
- Cyclists between the ages of 20 to 24 years old had the highest injury rate based on population.
Asheville Cyclist Safety
Trooper Haley Martin with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol spoke to WLOS ABC News Channel 13 and remarked that in addition to following all safety rules and traffic laws, cyclists should also be wearing helmets and reflective clothing. Whether you’re cycling for pleasure or heading to or from work, your safety needs to be a top priority. Improving cyclist safety in Asheville is everybody’s responsibility. Motorists are encouraged to share the road with cyclists, motorcycle riders, pedestrians and other roadway users.
Bicycle Accidents in Asheville
Cyclists and pedestrians are two of the most vulnerable roadway user groups, because they don’t have the same safety protections as passenger vehicle occupants. After any type of bicycle accident, it’s a good idea to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your options. The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to Carrie Byrnside’s family members, friends and loved ones.