This week, law enforcement officers in North Carolina are taking part in an interstate crackdown on drunk driving. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, agencies in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Florida will be taking part in the 24th annual “Hands Across The Border” campaign. There will be various checkpoints near all of these states’ borders, and law enforcement officers will be looking for drunk drivers and other offenders.
Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
Officials with various participating law enforcement agencies are hoping to reduce the number of injury causing and fatal drunk driving accidents this week, which also coincides with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) annual “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” Labor Day weekend campaign. Labor Day weekend is notorious for having an increase in drunk driving accidents, nationwide. The NHTSA has a $13.5 million budget for advertising, and the campaign will run from August 21 to September 7, 2015. Approximately 10,000 law enforcement agencies across the country will be participating in the crackdown on drunk driving this week.
Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
- In 2013, 10,076 people were killed in drunk driving crashes in the U.S.
- An average of one alcohol-impaired driving fatality happened every 52 minutes.
- On Labor Day weekend in 2013, there were 424 crash deaths nationwide.
- Nearly half of all of those fatal crashes involved drivers who had been drinking.
- More than a quarter of those drivers had a BAC of nearly twice the legal limit (.15+ BAC).
- In 2013, approximately one in five child passenger deaths happened in drunk driving crashes.
Drunk Driving Accidents in Asheville
After any kind of car accident caused by somebody else’s negligent or dangerous behavior, it’s a good idea to speak with a personal injury attorney about your options. Even with good insurance, you could be out of work and in the hospital for an extended period of time. Insurance companies aren’t always easy to deal with either, so a good attorney can be your advocate as your recover from your injuries.
If a drunk driver has injured you or a loved one in a car accident in Asheville or the surrounding communities, contact the skilled and proven team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 888-773-8388 for a free case consultation.